I Made My Bed Today and The Dawn of a New Era

IMMB

 

I made my bed today.

This is a big deal. I can’t remember the last time I made my bed – I don’t even do it when I change my sheets. I have entered the Dawn of a New Era. Today is significant because it is the first full week of my children being back in school. Not only that, but it is the first full week of my youngest child being in school for a full day.

Seven hours. I now have 7 whole hours a day of no child time.

No “Mom, can you get me something to eat.”

No “Mom, can you wipe my butt?”

No “Mom, can you put on this movie.”

Seven hours when I am no longer primarily Mother and Caretaker.

Summer was hard. Not hard as in miserable or horrible, but 97% of my time was spent picking up and dropping off kids, feeding and entertaining. That only leaves 3% of my time to: run my business, clean, work on the household projects or anything else. The weekend before the first day of school I slept seven hours worth of naps. Seriously. Summer was exhausting.

I’m not much one for making or following schedules but with the amount of work pilled up over the summer months I thought I should try it. I actually made a Monday through Friday Schedule of how to most effectively use my time – but I can’t find it now.

IMMB1

Never-fear, I’m going to try to remember it, here goes:

Monday: Work in office, cook actual dinner for kids.

Tuesday: Clean house and work on home improvement projects.

Wednesday: More office work and writing.

Thursday: Volunteer and cook a real dinner again.

Friday: Be creative!

With my house a total wreck and home improvement projects piling up I’ve been stymied all summer in pursing the creative activities that I love – WRITING (Blogging world I’ve missed you), Quilting, Sewing, Crocheting, Painting, etc…) I was hindered from creating by vicious Guilt that bound me in dormancy by a dirty house and undone projects (that weren’t getting cleaned or completed anyway – but that’s what Guilt does).

No more! Dirt or no, HI projects will wait – on Fridays – I’m creating…something.

And it all started with me making my bed this morning. This is the dawn of a new era and I am so ready for it.

 

To find out if this works, follow me on bloglovin’

Advertisements

Close Encounters

closeClose. When I saw this I immediately read it as in “close the door.” It seems natural that my brain would go there since I say the word, oh, 6 or 7 hundred times a day during the summer. My little window AC is chugging along to cool down my third floor attic bedroom and every. single. time. a child bursts in (which is often) I say, CLOSE THE DOOR! It would be nice if I had a recording that shouted it out every time the door creaked open – sort of like a Harry Potter-esque spell.

1284Once my brain got passed that definition, I realized the word could also be Close – as in, “she is standing close to me.” Which perfectly describes my seven year old daughter whose “love tank” is always empty. She actually once paid her thirteen year old sister $2 to let her snuggle with her. 

In the end she got her snuggle but there was no money exchanged. Accepting money for hugs is not cool, so said Mom.

This post was is part of 5 minute fridays where you are given a word of the day and you write for 5 minutes and 5 minutes only. Find the link here. 

Follow me on bloglovin’