Fact: Not being married negatively affects the state of my house.
This is a follow-up/weekly post where YOU my blog audience “come home” with me to see if having you here helps me get home improvement projects done. For previous post go here.
Premise (same as last week – if read previously – skip down to Projects.)
I find being unattached affects the status of my home improvement projects in two ways.
1. The fact that there is someone coming home kind of gives me a kick in the pants to get stuff done. Clean up, pick up, make improvements.
There is no one coming home.
2. I am so much more motivated to do home improvements when someone else is doing it with me.
I’ve lived in this apartment for the last three years and it’s really only been over the past six months that I’ve started to feel like this is my home. (I briefly wrote about this in my post, Dwelling.)
Then, a recent post where I discussed my cleaning habits got me thinking that maybe what I need is motivation. Since no one is coming home to motivate me, dear readers, YOU have become my motivation. I plan to post two small home improvement projects that I would like to work on during the next week and then follow up with you next Wednesday to see if this kind of accountability works for me.
1. Clean inside of car. DONE! I can even open the door without trash falling out. (I’ll spare you the pictures.)
2. Finish cutting quilting squares and start piecing together. DONE! I am ready to sew. This took til this morning, but we are ready to move forward.
I’ve been thinking this week about whether having or not having children affects my willingness to do projects. I came to the conclusion that it doesn’t matter. Yes, there is more everyday cleanup stuff to do with kids around and, in general, I’m more tired. But I lived in this same apartment pre-husband and pre-children and I was no more likely then to initiate home improvement projects than now.
I obviously need adult accountability.
Project for this week:
1. Paint and shabby chic vintage vanity in my bedroom.
I am choosing only one project this week, because A. this is a big one and B. this is the initial step in re-doing my bedroom. Which is HUGE!
Also, overall I’ve discovered that the success of this blog accountability thing is flowing over to other areas and I’m getting more and more projects done. Ones that are not even on the list (i.e. blog post)! That’s pretty exciting.
Productivity is producing productivity!
Has anyone else tried this? Thinking of trying it? I’ll be your virtual person coming home if you’d like me to.